I don’t have to remind you that your smile is the first thing people see. The smile shapes the face and can give you the confidence to thrive in social and personal situations. But how much do you really need to know about your smile? My job is to provide preventive and restorative dental care, while educating you about your teeth. I sit with patients every day, explaining how they can achieve a better smile.
Today I also have something planned for you. It’s a dental quiz about cosmetic dentistry. There is nothing at stake here. It’s just something to get you thinking. Here it is:
1. Dental stains are caused by: A. Aging B. Dark foods or drinks C. Smoking D. All of the above
2. You can have dental crowns placed in one day: A. True B. False
3. Gum recession is problem that occurs because of: A. Heavy brushing B. Gum disease C. Traditional gum surgery D. All of the above
4. Veneers are used to: A. Restore damaged teeth B. Cover chips or cracks in teeth C. Cover stains D. All of the above
1. All of the above. Dental stains are unfortunately part of life. In fact, dental stains are hard to avoid. Our office can remove dental stains with tooth cleanings or even whitening treatments. Dental whitening treatments are safe and have been used in dentistry for decades. We use a special Polar brand whitening treatment that you can use at home at your convenience. We do not use in-office treatments because patients can sometimes suffer with sensitivity from the bleaching agent.
2. True! If you’ve had a crown before, this may seem impossible, but it’s true. We can restore your teeth and place dental crowns in one office visit. We do this with a tool known as CEREC same-day crown technology. This technology includes digital tools and a special milling machine that allows us to design and fabricate a crown in about 90 minutes. Using CEREC technology, you don’t have to worry about ill-fitting crowns, temporary crowns, or multiple dental visits.
3. All of the above. Gum recession can be caused by a number of problems. Gum disease is one of the most common reasons for gum disease. Our office can treatment gum disease with a modern dental laser. Laser dentistry is a great alternative to conventional gum surgery, as conventional gum surgery requires cutting and stitches. For gum recession, we also offer the Pinhole Surgical Technique. This technique allows us to manipulate the gums into a more appropriate location.
4. All of the above. Veneers are thin porcelain shells that are placed over teeth to hide cracks, chips, small breaks, or heavy stains. We just have to remove a modest amount of tooth enamel to make the veneers fit. Once you permanent veneers are in place, you’ll have a beautiful, uniform smile that will last for years. Veneers do not stain and can strengthen your tooth if you have weak enamel.
That’s our short dental quiz. I hope it didn’t take much of your time and was education. If you’re ready to repair your smile and take the next step, call our dental office today at 303-647-1907.